For the whipped dark chocolate ganache:
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup heavy cream
For four 6 inch cocoa cake layers:
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup melted butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 tbsp cocoa powder
For the decoration:
- One 3.5oz bag of SkinnyDipped Cocoa Almonds, crushed
For the whipped chocolate ganache:
- Place your chocolate chips in a bowl.
- Heat the cream in a microwave until small bubbles start to form.
- Pour the hot cream over the chocolate chips and allow to stand for 3 minutes, then gently stir with a wooden spoon until the mixture is smooth.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour to firm up and start making the cakes.
For the cocoa cake layers:
- Preheat the oven to 340°F. Grease four 6-inch cake pans and line them with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, sift all the dry ingredients (except the cocoa powder) and mix.
- In another bowl, add the wet ingredients and mix them nicely.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients and mix until everything is incorporated.
- Divide the batter evenly between 4 bowls. Add 3 tbsp of cocoa powder to the first bowl, 2 tbsp to the second bowl and 1 tbsp in the third one. Leave the fourth bowl as it is. Stir the cocoa powder in each bowl and transfer to the prepared pans. Bake for 18 min.
- Allow the cakes to cool in their tins for 10 min before removing them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cooled, trim the top of each cake evenly with a serrated knife. Set aside.
Assembling the cake:
- Remove the chocolate ganache out of the fridge and use a hand mixer to whip it until nice and fluffy.
- Put a tsp of ganache on a plate and place the darkest layer of cake on top. Spread a thin layer of ganache and place another layer of cake on top. Repeat from the darkest to the lightest cake layer.
- Once you've finished filling and stacking your cake, add a layer of ganache all over the cake and cover with crushed SkinnyDipped Almonds. Refrigerate for 30 min and enjoy!