For three 6 inch chocolate cake layers:
- 1.5 cup flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1.5 tsp baking soda
- 1.5 cup powdered sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup softened butter
- 1 cup milk (any kind)
- 2/3 cup hot water
For the caramel sauce:
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 2 tbsp water
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
For the salted caramel buttercream:
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1 3/4 powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup salted caramel sauce
- One 3.5oz bag of SkinnyDipped Salted Caramel Cashews, crushed
For the chocolate cake layers:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease three 6 inch cake pans and line them with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, place the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and sugar and mix.
- Add butter, milk and mix well.
- Pour the boiling water and mix until everything is blended.
- Divide the batter between the three cake pans and bake for 30 min.
- Allow the cakes to cool in their tins for 10 min before removing them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cooled, trim the top of each cake evenly with a serrated knife. Set aside.
For the caramel sauce:
- Place the granulated sugar, salted butter and water in a saucepan. Cook on medium heat mixing regularly with a wooden spoon.
- Once the mixture reaches a golden amber color, remove from the heat and gradually add the heavy cream.
- Keep mixing with the wooden spoon and put it back on the stove for another minute.
- Once the consitency is smooth transfer to a jar and set aside to cool completely.
For the caramel buttercream:
- Place the butter and sugar into a large bowl and mix for 5 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup of caramel sauce and keep mixing until well blended.
Assembling the cake:
- Transfer one cake layer to a plate. Spread with 1/4 of the caramel buttercream, add a few tsp of caramel sauce and sprinkle some crushed SkinnyDipped Salted Caramel Cashews. Top with a second layer of cake and repeat the previous process until you top with the third cake layer.
- Spread the top and sides of the cake with the rest of the buttercream (just make sure to keep some for decoration). Use a spatula or a cake scraper to smooth out the buttercream as you go to cover the cake. Chill for 20 minutes.
- Top the cake with the caramel sauce, letting it drip on the sides.
- Put the remaining buttercream in a piping bag with a rose pipe tip and decorate the top of the cake. Finish by sprinkling the remaining crushed SkinnyDipped Cashews (or any of your favorite flavors!) on top. Serve and enjoy!